High school students are encouraged to contact the IU director of debate for application information. Seniors who are applying to IUB are all welcome to apply.
Amount: Awards may range from $500 - $5,000 for each of four academic years.
Eligibility: Primarily freshmen. Team members who show growth may become eligible. Recipients will be evaluated based on debate skill and competitive potential, academic success, leadership qualities, and need.
IU debate has the following requirements for maintaining the scholarship for four undergraduate academic years:
- Minimum grade point average. To be assured of scholarship renewal, you must maintain at least a 3.00 university wide GPA. If you fall below this average, you will be given a one-semester grace period to bring your GPA up to the 3.00 standard. Please note that the 3.00 requirement is a bare minimum. Debaters whose GPA falls below 3.0 in a given semester may face restricted opportunities for debate tournament travel.
- Fulltime student status. You must attempt and complete at least 12 credit hours of classes per semester.
- Tournament travel. If asked, you must agree to attend a minimum of three tournaments a semester.
- Tournament hosting. You must agree to help with the hosting of annual high school and college debate tournaments.
- Active participation. You must remain an active member of the debate team. This means attending scheduled meetings, participating in work and practice sessions, and contributing to the squad’s research base, as directed by the IU coaching staff.
To apply for a debate scholarship click here
Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.